Friday 4 May 2012

Cook a lot: One more slice by Leila Lindholm


Every time I tell my mum I have baked something sweet, she says the same thing: be careful. It's not really a surprise as this is my mum's response to many of the things I tell her. On holiday? Be careful. Long drive in the car? Be careful. Got a cold? Be careful. After years of the same spiel, I know the code behind the much used phrase. In the case of baking she means: you'd better watch your weight. Baking means eating, and who else but me and my man would be eating up all this cake?


Looking at the pictures of Leila Lindholm in her second baking book, One more slice, I have a suspicion that her mum worries about other things. Leila looks like lately, she's been baking her cake and eating it, too. Dressed in floaty clothes and padding on Birkenstocks, she's a down to earth version of the equally curvy Nigella Lawson. An earth mother of sorts, and one that - according to the foreword - is trying to bridge the gap between cultures and generations by baking goodies. The recipes are international enough and range from Italian semifreddo to American brownies and from French pain au levain to Russian blinis.

The book is dotted with a number of basic recipes and Leila elaborates on them by giving a handful of variations for each one. It's a brilliant concept: once you master the basic skills for, say, a French stick, you can keep on using them without having to eat the same thing over and over. The recipes are fun and quirky: the After Eight brownies can only be a winner, the pumpkin cheesecake begs to be tried and as for the pear and Stilton pizza... Why did I not think that one up myself?

In my everlasting quest for the ultimate lemon tart, I choose to make the key lime pies. (Also because I can halve the recipe and make just two little tarts. My mum's advice is ringing in my ears.) I start at the beginning, making the cookie crumble base, which isn't really sticky enough to create the sides Leila is talking about. Then I set about making the lime filling. Suddenly it says: leave to steep for 30-60 minutes. Oh. Here I am, oven on full blast, bases ready, and now I have to wait an hour? OK, OK, so I should have read the whole recipe first. But wouldn't it make much more sense to make the filling, then prepare and prebake the tart bases while it is steeping away?




Luckily, the filling is made with condensed milk, which cheers me up a little. I usually have an open tin of the stuff sitting around (I use it in Vietnamese coffee and Thai tea) but I always end up chucking three-quarters of it away - it all dries out, or smells funny when sniffed, long before it is empty. So with lifted spirits of waste reduction and sustainability, I use up most of my open tin.

The (Dutch version of the) recipe doesn't specify whether the condensed milk should be sweetened or not. Mine is sweetened and I guess it would need to be; there's no other sugar in the recipe and surely all that lime zest and juice needs a sweet component to balance things out. The next step (sieving the filling to get rid of the zesty bits) I omit. The filling is quite thick and I reckon it's going to take ages for it to drip through a fine sieve. I am getting impatient now.

It's all downhill from there. The baking time's too short to set the filling and the base is still too crumbly coming out of the oven. There were no instructions to grease or line the tart tins, nor to use a spring form. I am not all that surprised to find there is no way to prise the tarts out of the baking dishes without ruining their looks completely. I mean, look at their sad, sad state...

My version in front of Leila's version

The pie after turning it out onto a plate


No matter how pretty it all looks in the book - the beautiful picknick spots, the cute kiddies, the picture perfect pies, it's all a carefully crafted illusion. Again. The flavours are there though, they definitely are. Buttery cookie crumble and a zingy lime curd. All I have to do is tweak the components until it actually gels into a half decent pie. Or serve them deconstructed.

One more slice by Leila Lindholm is available in English (New Holland, £19.99) and in Dutch (Becht, €19.95) and in many other languages I'm sure. Find out more about Donna here.

You'll find a short version of this review (in Dutch) on jamiemagazine.nl.


No comments:

Post a Comment