Sunday 27 May 2012

Cook a little: the 17 day diet, day 4


Day 4 and I've run into a few problems with the diet.

1 I am utterly bored. What can I say? I like my food. After 4 days of fruit, steamed veggies and fish, there's only one thing on my mind. How does Posh Spice do it? She supposedly lives off this stuff.

breakfast: scrambled eggs with veggies and cottage cheese (no toast, then)


2 I have a load of recipes to test for various jobs, and they all contain carbohydrates. Of course they do, it's what normal people eat. What do I do? Do I test them then chuck the food? Do I try one bite (which I should really, I have to TEST it for god's sake)? Do I tell my employers to shove it?

3 I think about food all the time.

4 I talk about food even more than usual.


On the up side:

1 My time spent in supermarkets is greatly reduced. I'm not allowed any bread, pasta, wheat, meat, sugary food/drinks or alcohol, so all I need to look at are the fruit/veggies and the dairy section. I buy eggs in bulk and - with reluctance - some cut poultry. I walk past whole supermarket sections with my head held high. No thanks. Feelings of superiority ensue.

2 I get creative with the loopholes. I decide red wine is ok (something about nutrients in the grape skins) and for some reason, Parmesan is considered a low fat cheese by Dr. Mike. I suspect, however, that the phrase 'fat free' has gotten lost in translation somewhere. I'm not questioning Dr. Mike though. No way. I eat the cheese. Bliss.

3 Am fascinated how easy it is to greatly reduce my sugar and carb intake. I don't get withdrawal symptoms. I don't crave sugary stuff. The only thing I really miss, is something salty and crunchy. Like roasted nuts. Now there's a thought.

More about the book itself (as opposed to my diet miseries) to follow.

1 comment: