Friday 5 July 2013

The opposite of food envy


It's not all that unusual. And it's not just me, either. You'll recognise it too. You'll have cooked a promising, grand scale new recipe. Perhaps it's for a dinner party with the in-laws or long lost friends, or a cosy dinner for your man. Whichever way, you will have poured your love into it, slaved over it and licked your lips at the prospect. But then you sit down for it, have a bite and think: oh...

It's the opposite of food envy, it's food disappointment.

Yesterday, while tidying away a stack of old magazines, I came across a booklet full of sweet treats in aid of a cancer charity. I leafed through, and got all salivatory over this cake, thought out by a London cake-maker-to-the-stars. I won't mention names, as I am sure she (normally) makes quite lovely cakes. The thing was, she boasted that this was one of her favourites and would taste divine. It had apple, rosemary and not a lot of sugar in it. I got excited. I baked the cake. I ate a slice right when it came out of the oven. I ate another slice when the cake had cooled (maybe the flavours would come out better). But all I could think was: oh...

Looks nice enough, doesn't it?


No comments:

Post a Comment