Thursday 15 March 2012

Eat a lot: All-you-can-eat taco night at Das Gift

Yesterday I spent €9.95, a fortune in Berlin money, just so I could stand in an endless queue then eat reheated chicken and pork ragu, scooped onto supermarket flour tortillas, from a plastic plate. With a plastic fork and a plastic knife. Accompanied by a VERY roughly chopped pico de gallo. Yes, you could eat as much as you wanted, if what you wanted was the chicken filling. They ran out of the rest pretty quickly, especially the potato dish which I didn't get a chance to try at all. Who knows it may have been a meal-saver!






Sure, Das Gift is a pub, not a restaurant and people come here for the beers, the alt berliner kneipe atmosphere and, I suspect, to ogle the landlord who's a member of the band Mogwai. But when you charge a tenner for food in Berlin, you need to offer more than this I'm afraid...


Suffice to say I was happy to be there in the company of good friends, who made up for the lack in decent food. Next time I'll be eating in Das Gift, it will be the Walker's salt and vinegar crisps.


Das Gift, Donaustraße 119, 12043 Berlin (Neukölln), open daily from 7pm, dasgift.tumblr.com


No comments:

Post a Comment