Tuesday 10 February 2015

Eat a lot: Kaffee Mitte, Mitte

The old adagio: when in Berlin, do as the Berliners do, doesn't do in Kaffee Mitte.



I have passed this place many times but I never managed to make it inside until now. Sometimes it was too busy, sometimes I was too busy, sometimes it just wasn't the right time for a Kaffee mit Kuchen.

But I was wrong there. This is not a Kaffee mit Kuchen kind of place. It's a mediterranean hangout, where Italian seems to be the language of choice, the sandwiches are made by a tattooed, pierced barman wearing a blond wig and most of the guests seem to be best friends - of each other, the staff or the resident dog at least.



The sandwiches they serve for lunch are a tad pricy. Four euro for what essentially is a piece of bread with a drizzle of oil, some rocket and a sparing scattering of cheese seems a bit far-fetched, even when in Mitte. But oh, how good that sandwich was. Crunchy yet chewy, salty and oily in just the right amounts, with a perfect little salad to polish it all off.



It made me forget about the fairly silly self service system where you order at the bar, get an electronic device that lights up when your order is done (we didn't get our device, but luckily our order found its way to us thanks to one of the many hanger outers at the bar) and you even have to put away your own dishes.

What I liked most of all is the proper Italian breakfast they serve in the morning: a cappuccino with a cornetto (€3,80). Next time I am in Berlin Mitte at breakfast time, I will do as the Romans do, and head to Kaffee Mitte for my fill.



Kaffee Mitte, Weinsmeisterstraße 9A, 10178 Berlin, 030 24038204, website, open Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm, Sat 9am - 8pm, Sun 10am - 8pm

No comments:

Post a Comment