Tuesday 12 November 2013

Happy birth-day

It's nought to do with eating, or drinking, but all the more with being merry: celebrating the birth of a baby. In the Netherlands, parents do so by sending everyone and their neighbour a birth announcement. Not via text, email or Facebook. They send a real, actual paper card, in an envelope with stamps on, just like in the olden days. It's a lovely tradition. 


The card itself is usually adorned with sugary sweet drawings of babies, bears or (very trendy these days) birds. 


But the ones I came across today are sugary nor sweet and designed by a papercut artist. I like them. Especially the one with the ant on. 


Surely that is one of the most original things to be putting on the front of a birth announcement? New baby born - ant. I can just see myself going (in a haze of pregnancy hormones): yes, that makes total sense. I have to have the ant! Sorry sorry, I actually really do like them a lot. Can't wait for one of my preggers friends to choose a Geertje Aalders design for the announcement of their next addition to the world.

You can order Geertje's cards here. (Please send me one if you do!)

No comments:

Post a Comment