Monday 24 September 2012

The art of food trend watching


The other day I was asked to fill my blog for Jamie magazine with food trends, what with me being in überhip Berlin and all. I was flattered. But also in a bit of a pickle. It's not that I don't love a good trend, and I love it even better when I am the first one among my foodie friends to catch on. But my method goes like this: I watch, I notice, and then I keep schtum. I like sitting on my secret foodie spots, only to magic them out of a hat when the appropriate person comes to visit, or when I fancy a little indulgence by my own little self.

This is somewhat of a pain when you're a writer in the flimsy world of blogs and magazine articles. If it ain't new and exciting, it ain't worth writing about.

(I'll admit, when making foodie travel stories for Jamie magazine, I may have possibly omitted my very favourite addresses for fear of those places being overrun by tourists. Yes, in my dreams, my audience is way bigger than it probably is, and it follows my advice to the letter.)

When you're a writer, keeping a lid on things often means missing the boat. That closely guarded Italian lunch spot of mine is now featured in the newest edition of Lonely Planet, and it was only the other day that I read about 'my' cool new American foodie magazine in a local Dutch newspaper. Pants. There's hardly any point writing about them now, is there?

So from now on, I will try to be a good girl. I hereby promise not to keep any little gems to myself. Not even my local drinking hole. Or the place to get the best croissant in town. Cross my heart and hope to die.

To put words into action, here are a few weird and wonderful trends I have come across lately. There's only two, mind. I have blog pages to fill after all.

1 German kids are inexplicably snacking on those packets of noodle soup that come with a sachet full of MSG. Only they eat them uncooked, straight from the packet, with the flavourings sprinkled over. Their stomachs must be grateful...

2 Bioshops in Germany are shedding their alternative coats and going for prettier packaging, finally clocking on to the fact that going organic is more than just a leftie lifestyle choice. Just look at this coffee cup (below). Trendy, no?




No comments:

Post a Comment