Wednesday 4 July 2012

Eat a lot: Weinblatt, Graefekiez

In the ever more trendy Graefekiez you'll find a Mediterranean looking place called Weinblatt. The wooden benches outside are perfect for lounging on a sunny day, but the day that I pass the place is a rainy one, so I duck inside. I'm glad I did, because many of its treasures are hidden inside. 


At the centre of it all, you'll find a shop counter full of glistening olives, beautifully coloured pastes and wonderful salads. Every other millimetre of wall space is covered in food stuffs to take home: organic wines from Italy or Spain, beautiful packets of dried pasta, bottles of olive oil and wonderfully heavy looking homemade breads.


I pick one of the many menu combinations on offer - I go for two pastes, one salad and olives for €4.50 -  and sit down in the adjacent room, which is stuffed, like the vine leaves that give this restaurant its name, with sofas, garden furniture, wicker ornaments and, inexplicably, vintage Vogue fashion posters. A glass of wine and a basket of flatbread to boot and - sigh - it feels like a mini break. When I go back for just a little more, I learn the limits of Weinblatt's combination platter menu: it's not possible to combine the pastes I just had (a chilli-tomato and a creamy aubergine one) with the interesting looking veg balls I feel I NEED to try. Not without getting some vine leaves thrown in anyway. 

So I end up stuffing myself. Which is possibly the only thing you can do in a place called Weinblatt.

Weinblatt, Dieffenbachstraße 59, 10967 Berlin, +49 (0)30 69517365, open Mon-Sat from 9.30am till 11pm, Sun from 11am till 11pm, knofi.de

No comments:

Post a Comment